SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133881 - 03/02/02 02:37 AM PSR2000 "Floppy Shuffle" ergonomics
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Hello all. I'm new here but I've been scanning your posts for some time and have found the discussions very illuminating!

I'm looking to replace my PSR630 with (probably) a PSR2000. It would be nice to stretch to something with a hard-disc but you've got to draw the line somewhere!

Other than the normal desire to keep up with the Joneses, it would be very nice to reduce the time delay involved when doing the "floppy shuffle" (I got that phrase from this forum; very accurate) when the song I want next is on a different disc. On the 630 you have to wait for the song to stop and then swap, tap fingers for 5 seconds, lose audience.

I've not got my hands on a PSR2000 in suitable (i.e. unchaperoned) circumstances to test this personally, but it looks like, when playing a midifile from a floppy, then the data gets buffered internally inside the keyboard so you can swap floppy discs "mid song" and cue up the next song without interrupting the song in progress.

Is this the case? If so it would seem that the gap between songs, even off two different discs could be zero, which is about as good as it gets without a PA80!

I appreciate that even if this isn't the case I could use the internal memory to store some files to redue swapping, but my midifiles average 60-100k so I can't get that many in memory!

Thankyou in anticipation...

------------------
John Allcock

#133882 - 03/02/02 07:30 AM Re: PSR2000 "Floppy Shuffle" ergonomics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John and Welcome...
Yes, the currently running midi is loaded into the buffer. You can remove the disc while it is playing and load another. The screen will show up to 10 files on the disc per page. Which means, you can call up the page for the file you want and have it at the ready when your original midi finishes.
The gap is not Zero...but darn close.
Eddie

#133883 - 03/02/02 08:11 AM Re: PSR2000 "Floppy Shuffle" ergonomics
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I was able to store three midi files in the user area plus about 15 user styles before the mamory was filled up.
The disk shuffle works very well - just wait a few measures for the song to fully load into the buffer, and then you can remove the disk. Works like a charm.
Even if they were the SAME price, the PA80 would not compare to the 2000 for ease of use and "live" playing features. It seems, the gereral concensus is that the Korg has an edge in programming, and fine editing, while the Yamaha is really a breeze to open up the box and PLAY. Given the difference in price, I can't imagine wanting the Korg over the Yamaha. (I had the Korg first - it was a work in progress then, and I know there have been improvements since.)

#133884 - 03/02/02 09:58 AM Re: PSR2000 "Floppy Shuffle" ergonomics
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
John,
You will love the 2000 I believe! It is so easy to take right out of the box and play!
Shure it's like any board, you'll want stretch it to it's limits, that takes a little longer! It's got great sounds & Styles. For the $$$ they're not one close!
Ok guys land on me!! I said it!

"Uncle Dave" In my USER MEMORY I have 2 REG
MEMORIES. I have 2 different ways I set up my basic KB to play. At pwr/on I go to J REG.
MEM.,it goes to USER BANK 1 I push button at BANK 1, this lites up 2 of the green LEDs of the 8 REG buttons. Then I just deside which setting I want! Anytime if I want I can change the setting very quickly!
I also have 22 styles in the USER MEM.
Depends on the size of your styles.
I did have 25 styles when I tried 26 I run out of room! At that time I had nothing else in the MEM.I took some of them out so I would
have a little room left if I need it!

John, I know UD. doesn't do it but I probably have over 400 song setups on two floppies! the only reason I don't have them all on one,is that one is just from our hymnal at church!
It takes around 5 sec to go from one set up to the next. I use the auto. Styles, but I also play full keyboard. I use the setup anyway. then switch to full KB. that way you can use the drums.
Have a nice day,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 03-02-2002).]

#133885 - 03/03/02 02:40 AM Re: PSR2000 "Floppy Shuffle" ergonomics
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Thank you all for the responses. That covers things nicely.

The comment about ease of use is interesting; I always like devices that can be operated with one finger whilst the house is burning down! Some years ago this was the main reason I bought a Yamaha MU80 rather than a Korg X5DR mobule; i.e. I could operate it without the manual. Of course, having been hooked into XG by the MU80 is the reason that I find myself here today.
It's just a pity the Ensoniq SD1 I use as a Master keyboard doesn't understand bank changes in the XG/GS sense!

#133886 - 03/03/02 07:54 AM Re: PSR2000 "Floppy Shuffle" ergonomics
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Well, I have now played in a live situation with both the PA 80 and the PSR 1000 ( it's a loaner from Alto Music in Middletown while my 2000 is out for repair..thanks and Kudos to them for the help ). I have to agree with most of the assessments I have seen on the two boards. When I look at the two boards from my usual perch ( a composing musician ), then the PA80 is heads and shoulders a better board for me in almost every area, but for live play I can use either. No doubt the Korg has a steeper learning curve. Each board has it's advantages over the other in a live setting, but the one thing that makes the PSR line a whole lot better at least for me is doing anything from disc. Floppy operations from the 2000 / 1000 are almost instantaneous and very smoothe. Not so with the PA80.

Korg AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online